Part A: You, the Writer.

What was your writing identity prior to the course?

I have only just recently started to call myself a “writer” because prior to this course, the only writing I would ever do was in my journal or for ELA class; however, because I had CRW last semester and this one I believe that I have fully developed my writing identity. This development is partly due to having such an amazing class where writing is able to foster and grow.

What is your writing identity now?

As of now, my writing identity hasn’t changed, drastically, because I am still discovering and developing my voice. However, I have grown consistently more confident about my writing since being in CRW.

Reflect on you development as a writer.

Genre –> I have recently started to expand the genres I write in as I previously only wrote creative short stories. However, I have certainly started to write more poetry.

Ideas –> The ideas I write about have stayed consistent. Most of my pieces usually deal with my personal inner conflicts. However, I recently wrote “I Can Only Promise” and I would love to explore that idea more.

Details –> After last year’s CRW class, I discovered the importance of details in writing, as they can add nuance and “twists” into your piece. My use of details has elevated my writing as they complicate the story.

Structure –> As I discovered last year, you don’t really need to stick to a certain structure which is something I have certainly worked on again this year. It has helped bring my writing “outside the box”. You can see this in action through my attempt at a spoken word poem called Once Upon A Time. 

Voice and style –> My voice and style are the one thing that I have worked on as a student because I believe that is the most important aspect of creative writing. You can achieve a strong voice through a unique style, and this interplay is something that I have tried implementing more into my work.

GUMPS –> A certain type of GUMP I struggle with are comma splices. I find that I struggle with this because I just want to “word vomit” what I’m thinking, so I end up forgetting about punctuation.

How would you explain your voice? What is stylistic of you?

I use my blog as a place where I can dump all of my “teenage angst”; consequently, this reveals itself in an edgy and usually dark voice. However, I believe that there needs to be a change on my blog because I find myself getting bored with what I have been writing. In terms of style, I tend to use a lot of imagery that subtly reveals the elements of fiction. I would describe it as inexplicit and clever. By using my blog as an outlet for my creative side, I believe that my voice is authentic and that is achieved through my style.

As a mentor writer, what advice would you give to future creative writers?

Creative Writing is just an elective. But it is an elective where you can find out who you are. Throughout high school, there is this immense pressure put on you as a student and teenager but by taking creative writing, you are setting yourself up for success. ELA 30-1 is the only 30 level course required and by writing and reading you are guaranteed to succeed in that class.

Specifically, I would tell creative writers to not worry about anything writing. To use writing as an outlet and sanctuary when life gets tough. It’s like free therapy!

Future goals and plans regarding writing?

I wish to keep up with this blog because it is a true representation of my feelings throughout high school. However, with university looming overhead, I hope that I can still write in my journal every night- at the very least. If these attempts prove futile, I’ll just read – which, at times, is just as effective as writing.