Part D: You, the Fan.

WRITER SEMINARS: How has studying published authors changed/improved your writing?

I have always seemed to write very long and poetic-esq sentences, which has helped me develop me voice; however, this style has also led to a lack of clarity in my writing. Betty, on the other hand, effectively utilizes simple sentences that still convey a sense of lyricism and poetry. As a result, I would say that Betty Smith has inspired me to try and change up my style and voice by incorporating a wide variety of sentence structure and style.

Additionally, in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn Ms. Smith relays the importance of reading and writing in one’s life. All my life I have preached reading and writing as a way to gain knowledge and Ms. Smith has just reinforced that for me.

Are you glad you did your writer? Who different would you consider? Why?

I’m glad that our group chose to do Betty Smith because I got to read some fantastic plays and an amazing novel. Francie is a character that I look up to and gain inspiration from.

With that being said, however, I would’ve liked to do a poet because poetry has been a driving force in my writing – specifically, William Butler Yeats.

What genres have interested you the most?
  • Poetry
  • Fiction
What did your learn from the writers? Inspirations?

I didn’t learn one specific thing, but I am not starting to understand the ways in which authors utilize their style to create a unique voice. In terms of inspirations, I really enjoyed Yann Martel which inspired my piece about Death and his Infatuation in with Love. You can read it here.

Do you intend to read more of a writer? Which?

I intend to read more of Kristin Hannah’s novel because I loved the Nightingale and it’s exploration of historical fiction.

BLOGGER: Discuss 3-4 student writers in the class

Aaron – Mindlessly Meticulous

I love Aaron’s blog because he has curated it to reflect his personality, values, and lifestyle. His work is impeccable and an absolute pleasure to read.

Carmen – Exulansis

I love Carmen’s aesthetics page on her blog because it is representative of her personality and hilarity – I love those memes! And, obviously, her writing.

Lucas – Beyond Ozymandias

Lucas’ voice is captivating and unique which makes for such an excellent blog. His writing has grown and matured, yet still holding onto hilarious and original ideas and storylines.

OTHER WRITERS who you are a fan of…