Uncategorized

I Can Only Promise

People seem to think about reincarnations a lot. They believe that their birthmark was where they were killed in their past life. Some, however, believe that once they die they spend their time in a dark “void,” while others believe that they get to watch their lives play out over their eyelids. I’m here to tell you what really happens.

When you die, you wake up in a movie theatre and watch your reincarnated life. For example, when I died – I had cancer – I woke up in what seemed like a cinema, and I had the immense pleasure, and disgust, of seeing a baby being born. Luckily for me, I wasn’t the only person in the audience. There were people that looked a lot like me. It was a weird experience. When I had mustered enough courage to ask someone about what the heck was happening, she told me that we were watching our reincarnated life.

The baby being born, was the life that started after mine had ended. We would lead a similar life – if everything went to plan – or our lives would end up being completely different. All that you really need to know, is that our lives were connected by a red thread. The fortunate people who are still alive, also have their own ideas about this string; they call it “The Red Thread of Fate”. These people believe that the gods tie an invisible red cord around the ankles of those that are destined to meet one another in a certain situation or help each other in a certain way. Those people are wrong.

What actually happens is that our collective soul – the cumulative soul of all of the reincarnations – are twisted into the invisible red thread and tied to the little finger of every reincarnate. This ensures that they end up in the right theatre when they die, and also helps guide their life.

Oh, I guess I never introduced myself. My name is Ai and I am the 566th reincarnation of Ainsley Gatten, I was born on April 6th, 1997 and died May 11th, 2013. I had cancer. Which is interesting to note because I am the first reincarnation to die of cancer. The most common death among us is suicide. The top three causes of death, for us, are suicide, influenza, and car accidents – in that order. I believe the numbers are 22 suicides, 19 deaths by influenza, and 14 deaths for car accidents. I am lucky number 1 for cancer!

The other reincarnates think that my life (and subsequent death) were the saddest and least entertaining because most of my life was spent in the cancer wings of multiple hospitals. I tell them to screw off.

Anyways, I’ve had the pleasure of seeing my afterlives on the big screen twice over. The first was the baby I was previously talking about – Aidric. He was born on May 11th, 2013 and died on December 13th, 2030. He got into a car accident. So I guess that brings the count up to 15 for car accidents! The second afterlife I got to see was Avia, she was born on December 13th, 2030 and hasn’t passed away yet! She is currently in the running for “Longest Life.” She’s 19.

Apparently, the reincarnates of Ainsley don’t get to live very long.

She was a baby born with deep blue eyes and pink skin named Avia. She started her life alone. Avia cried so much that they had to put her in a separate room, devoid of the other infants. A nurse checked in on her every few hours. Nobody blamed the nurse, she had other pressing matters to attend to – Avia’s mother. The new mom’s heart rate was growing out of control and her breathing suffered.

When the young lady died, she did so whispering her child’s name. I wasn’t sure if she even got a chance to hold Avia or smell her newborn head. In that hospital room, with the flat-line beep of a heart rate monitor, the nurse checking on Avia stood – lips quivering and fists clenched.

In this world, children were supposed to be loved by their parents. If not the mother, who else would? For Avia, it was nobody, not even herself.

The orphanage boasted posters of smiling blonde-haired boys and girls with deep blue eyes. Avia could’ve been a poster girl if she ever smiled. But no matter many how many stuffed animals were thrown her way or how many smiles and hugs they offered, they weren’t able to get those lip-locked edges to curve up.

By the time she was fifteen, she had already smoked her first cigarette and drank her first beer. Nobody wanted to tell her, but everybody knew. Nobody adopted teenagers. She would be a lifer, an unwanted child turned into an unwanted adult.

And on her nineteenth birthday, she bought a gun.

None of us watching were worried. Despite everything that has happened, Avia was a gentle girl and that was her problem. Nobody could reach her through her overpowering politeness. It took a mother’s love to chip away as the girl and all she had was an old photo of a ghost who once loved her.

She snuck out when the moon had reached its apex and flooded the fields with an ashen glow. All she left was a small package and a letter. Thanks for taking care of me. And that was it. She didn’t sign it nor address it to anyone. She wrote it in cheap pen and stuffed inside was twelve-hundred dollars cash and a photo of a ghost.

The spot she chose was out of the way. Nobody needed to be disturbed. No runners would come this way and be scared. The only selfishness she allowed was that it was by a river, a black canvas of glittering moonlight.

It was never meant to be, she told herself. This is fate.

Some of us nodded with her – wishing for another suicide count. Others shook their heads. I stared, neck stiff, eyes unblinking as she put the gun to her temple.

“No,” I whispered. “Don’t do it.”

Some of us, the more boisterous ones, cheered along, edging the girl to pull the trigger. They had seen a hundred lives and would see a thousand more. A single life in a single point of time meant nothing to them.

“No,” I said and stood from my seat. “Please.”

The screen flickered with the tremble of her finger. Soon it would go completely black.

“No!” I screamed, “This isn’t how it has to be.”

The boisterous ones were no longer laughing. The others around me turned their eyes away. At one point in time, they had all been me. They had thought that life mattered, that pain had meaning. But after a hundred shows of a hundred lives, most of them only slept through the show.

I clenched my fists, the words swelling in my lungs. Then I took a breath of life and prayed, that somehow, I wasn’t just a dead girl with a loud mouth.

“Don’t pull,” I yelled, tears pouring down my cheek and snot from my nose. ‘Not until you have a chance. Maybe you never will, maybe this will be as it always is, maybe I’m wrong about everything, but there is meaning in your pain! I can’t tell you if I’m right or if I’m certain.” My voice dropped low, “I can only promise.”

Avia closed her eyes. She hadn’t heard me, of course, she didn’t. I held my breath.

Then, Avia broke down, the gun still pushed against her temple. “So cruel,” she whispered to nobody. “After all this, I only have a promise. That’s all my fate has to offer.”

My eyes went wide. My jaw dropped. “And that’s enough,” I said, my voice too low even for myself to hear.

There, Avia stood, the gun rigid in her hand. And when her tears fell, the gun did too.

6 comments

1. Dearest Victoria,

Once again, love the visuals. That’s all I need to say, or I’ll become redundant. 😀

I certainly enjoy the distinct voice you capture in this piece AND how you didn’t introduce the character in the expected chronological order. In the process of establishing the voice of the narrator, you also established the quirky character of narrator, which can be seen in these sentences:

“It was a weird experience. When I had mustered enough courage to ask someone about what the heck was happening, she told me that we were watching our reincarnated life.”

“I am lucky number 1 for cancer!”

“I tell them to screw off.”

I was very intrigued by the concept you explored in this story, and I like how you used the symbol of the Red Thread and the imagery (such as when you had when you described the right and wrong of the thread, and the contrast between the tying of ankles to fingers.).

I note that all the reincarnates start with the letter A. I might be a reincarnate from your fictional story too! Oooooo. But moving on.

I thoroughly enjoyed the inexplicit and explicit details of Avia’s life through “they weren’t able to get those lip-locked edges to curve up.”, signifying her eternal sense of loneliness and sadness that she carries. Along with continuously referring to her mother as “a ghost” and with the imagery of “She snuck out when the moon had reached its apex and flooded the fields with an ashen glow.”, magnificent writing. 🙂

I also enjoyed your way of exploring the idea of the preciousness of life with Ai’s outburst in the cinema, and the idea of desensitization for the other incarnates. I am glad you chose to narrate the story with a reincarnate of fresh eyes.

And through the lines of the following:

“My eyes went wide. My jaw dropped. “And that’s enough,” I said, my voice too low even for myself to hear.

There, Avia stood, the gun rigid in her hand. And when her tears fell, the gun did too.”

I am thankful that you were able to give life and motivation to live for those contemplating suicide in some way. Although I have no expertise or at liberty to say much about the idea of suicide, this ending may be enough for those individuals that are in Avia’s position. The plain line of “And that’s enough.” in response to Avia’s promise to live for her ghost of a mother, says so much.

A recap of sentences that took my breath away :
    1) “It took a mother’s love to chip away as the girl and all she had was an old photo of a ghost who once loved her.”)(OOF. That hits the emotions and gives us insight on Avia’s perspective on life as a motherless child.)

2) “At one point in time, they had all been me.” (Just that sentence alone carries its own heavy weight to other reincarnates who wanted Avia dead.)

And one question:
    Would Avia carry forward her personality as a reincarnate into the cinema?

Some minor improvements and suggestions:
    1) “Some, however, believe that once they die they spend their time in a dark “void,””
    Adding a comma between die and they.

2) Replacing “were” with “was” in, “The other reincarnates think that my life (and subsequent death) were the saddest…”

3) Somehow would have liked to see the use of the through line of the Red Thread somehow. You do mention fate at the end, but maybe having the reincarnates be able to see the Red Threads, possibly?

Overall, phenomenal read and amazing exploration of this concept. Never stop writing, Queen Victoria. 😀

ILAG,
    Aaron
    (Your punny partner in crime. :P)

2. Dearest Aaron,

Thank you so much for your kind words of gratitude and criticism. I truly appreciate it as they make both you and I better writers. In terms of what you had to offer as “grows”, I was actually struggling to find a way to incorporate the “Red Thread of Fate” – do you have any ideas about that? I was thinking that I could have Avia wearing a piece of her mother’s jewelry, a red ring perhaps?

Anyways, thanks again for such a lovely comment. 🙂

All the love,

Vic
    [the not so punny partner]

3. Dearest Victoria,

An idea for the incorporation of the Red Thread could possibly be an item that is passed down from her deceased mother, such as a necklace or ring with a ruby, or have Avia have a red hairband? Some ideas to spark your imagination.

Sincerely,
    Aaron 🙂

1. Dearest Aaron,

Thanks for replying to my reply from your comment – haha. I realized in class today that I forgot to address the question you posed!

I believe that Avia wouldn’t bring that energy into the movie theatre because her “fated” connection with Ai would send her on a better life path. However, I may be interpreting your question incorrectly, so I would also say this: Avia, when she dies, would regenerate in the cinema and join the other reincarnates. Atleast, that’s what I am thinking right now! Who really knows?

All the love,

Vic
      (Once again, the inferior pun partner)

4. Dear Victoria,

After you shared this in class, I fell in love. this is beautifully written and I believe you should continue writing for as long as you can because you’re so talented. Honestly, if you were to publish a novel I’d be one of the first people to purchase it. Your writing is so good!! I can’t find anything right now that you could improve on (mostly because I am in AWE), but I guess just give it another quick read and edit.

Sincerely,
    Asma

1. Dearest Asma,

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write such a lovely comment! I’ll be sure to let you know if I ever publish a book, haha.

All the love,

Victoria